- Review periodontal anatomy and biology
- Understand evidence based approach to diagnosis of mucogingival defects
- Review technique utilized in root coverage and gingival augmentation procedures
- Become familiar with harvesting of palatal donor tissue
- Review previous disease classification systems and discuss their shortcomings
- Discuss the key changes in the new classification system
- Discuss the case definitions for gingival health, gingivitis and periodontitis as well as other disease conditions
- Learn the staging and grading for disease conditions and review diagnostic criteria for each
Meet Your Instructors
Dr. Audra Ward
Audra S. Ward DMD, MS earned her undergraduate degree in biology from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. She then attended Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine an Alton, Illinois, where she earned her Doctor of Dental Medicine Degree in 2003. After completion of her General Practice Residency at St. John’s Mercy Medical Center in St. Louis Missouri, Dr. Ward moved to Kansas City, Missouri. She then taught general dentistry at the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) School of Dentistry for two years prior to entering the Periodontics residency at that institution.
Dr. Ward completed this program and obtained her Certificate in Periodontics in 2008 as well as a Masters degree in Oral Biology in 2009. Dr. Ward earned her Diplomate status of the American Board of Periodontology in May, 2010.
Dr. Ward resides in Leawood, Kansas with her husband, Derrick and is blessed with two beautiful children, Barrett and Quinn. In her free time she enjoys family time, cooking and walking her greyhound, Olive.
Dr. Dmitriy Ivanov
Dr. Ivanov is a specialist in Periodontics with a focus on the treatment of periodontal disease, hard and soft tissue augmentation and dental implantology. He received extensive training in all aspects of Periodontics, providing patients with ability to maintain a healthy and aesthetic smile. He is also trained in moderate IV Sedation, helping the most anxious patients to receive excellent periodontal care.
Dr. Ivanov received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from UC Santa Barbara, graduating with Summa Cum Laude (Highest Honors). He was awarded a D.D.S. degree from the UCLA School of Dentistry and continued his post-doctoral education in Advanced Periodontics and Implant Dentistry residency at the Veterans Hospital of West Los Angeles/UCLA Medical Center. His residency had a great emphasis on medically compromised patients, full-mouth rehabilitation patients, interdisciplinary Perio-Prosthodontics reconstructive therapy and full-arch implant treatment.